The new F Gas regulations became law on 4th July 2006, with the majority of measures taking effect from 4th July 2007. The main objective of this regulation is to contain, prevent and thereby reduce emissions of the fluorinated greenhouse gases covered by the Kyoto protocol. The regulation addresses containment, use, recovery, destruction, reporting, labelling, training and certification on the market prohibitions for the fluorinated gases.
Operators of stationary refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment shall use all measures which are technically feasible and do not entail disproportionate cost to prevent leakage of F gas (HFC gas) and as soon as possible repair any detected leakage.
Leakage Inspection and F Gas Legislation
- Systems shall be checked for leakage dependant on refrigerant charge.
- 3kg charge – check at least every 12 months.
- 30kg charge – check at least every 6 months.
- 300kg charge – check at least every 3 months.
- The application shall be checked for leakage within 1 month after a leak has been repaired to ensure the repair was effective.
- Operators of equipment containing 300kg or more shall install leakage detection systems, these must be checked every 12 months.
- 'Checked for leakage', means that the system is examined for leakage using direct and indirect methods.
Record Keeping and F Gas Log
Operators of equipment with more than 3kg charge must maintain records on the quantity and type of F gas (HFC) installed. Any quantities added or recovered during maintenance, servicing and disposal must be recorded along with leak checks and any actions taken. These records must be made available upon request by the authority.
Operators of refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment must make sure that arrangements for the proper recovery are carried out by certified personnel who comply with the training and F gas certification requirements.
Envitae can arrange an inspection and audit of your air conditioning equipment and help you develop a corporate strategy to ensure your compliance with the new F gas legislation. Our partners, are fully qualified to undertake air conditioning audit and inspection. At Envitae, we don't sell or rent, manage or service property, just specialise in nationwide commercial property energy compliance. Our focus is on providing a high level of service, we will deal with your energy compliance requirements from start to finish, offering invaluable advice and carrying out inspection and certification swiftly and professionally.